Main purpose of the placement
To provide workplace experience for students undertaking media/communications/digital and social media studies. The outcomes of the placement will include the building of social media followers; influencers and social media engagement activities with all known AFA stakeholders and commercial partners (Australia and New Zealand) and to ensure appropriate cross-pollination of all AFA media channels and related information.
Identify and stimulate social media opportunities and drive the realization of its full potential by maximizing opportunities for traffic growth and lead discussion on topical issues for innovation and change.
This will be achieved through increasing brand awareness, driving fresh market ideas and coordinating social media efforts across all AFA activities.
Assist in the day-to-day running of the business and support the activities of the AFA Media Team
Location: On and Off-Site as negotiated
- Attention to detail
- Innovative thinker
- Excellent communication skills
- Time management/Strong work ethic
- Analytical approach, particularly when undertaking research and exploring new content/opportunities
- Microsoft office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Adobe Photoshop or equivalent
Key responsibilities and accountabilities:
- PLAN and MANAGE one social media platform (Facebook/Linkedin/Instagram/Twitter) for the AFA within a collaborative Social Media team and aligned to the AFA Strategic Plan.
- DEVELOP and document the process that will be employed to manage the allocated social media platform.
- SECURE followers across the identified stakeholder groups and media channels.
- BUILD online social media relationships with media partners to share and contribute content.
- BUILD and manage the allocated social media platform (Facebook/Linkedin/Instagram/Twitter), and connect content and timing to the other AFA Social Media Platforms, RSS Feeds, AFA News and website content and media releases/editorial/publications/TV and radio etc for maximum exposure.
- LIAISE with and provide Web content managers with links to the relevant social media content as required. Ensure all links are connected once platform goes ‘LIVE’.
- DEVELOP a schedule to ensure regular updates to all Social Media Platforms are activated and in line with high impact announcements related to the Association’s activities.
- ENSURE all Advisory Board and partners platforms are cross pollinated to all AFA the allocated social media platforms.
- INSTALL or create tracking systems to ensure capture of data and statistics for allocated social media platforms for reporting purposes.
- CREATE a simple weekly reporting mechanism to inform AFA Management Team of activity, results and any breakthroughs or unexpected activities.
- IN the course of the above mentioned activity, identify opportunities for greater exposure, or media interviews or speaker opportunities for AFA senior management.
- RESEARCH, ASSESS and EVALUATE social media opportunities and target markets and recommend possible growth opportunities
- CONDUCT the collection of intelligence on stakeholders (prospective clients, partners and competitors)
The Australian Furniture Association (AFA) is the peak industry body for the furnishing sector providing benefits and services to the entire supply chain. Addressing the business needs of supply chain enterprises is key to these services. The AFA’s main revenue is sourced from Membership fees and minimal government funding.
We are a not-for-profit company limited by guarantee, originally established in the early 1900’s as a guild and evolving to its current format in 2014. We have a Board of Directors and a range of reference and advisory groups with whom we constantly seek information on industry-related needs.
AFA’s activities help the key Australian furnishing sectors of training, design, supply (raw materials/components/equipment etc), process manufacturing, import/export, retail, and distribution to continue to play a pivotal role in the national economy.
Key internal and external relationships
The position holder will work closely with the Digital Manager and other AFA staff.
The position holder will communicate with all AFA stakeholders and suppliers.
Regular posting of relevant content
Greater media interaction
Greater community engagement
Knowledge, skills and attitudes required
- excellent English language skills
- attention to detail in content development, distribution, and reporting
- high level written communication skills with attention to grammar and spelling
- IT literacy including Microsoft Office products, and sound keyboarding skills
- sound administrative, planning and organizational skills, including an ability to prioritize and schedule work to meet deadlines
- ability to work autonomously and within a team
- versatility, flexibility, enthusiasm, strong customer focus and a high level of initiative and self-motivation
- demonstrated an ability to practice discretion and maintain confidentiality at all times
- previous experience with Social Media Accounts preferable
- knowledge of the design industry
- prior experience in aspects of furnishing/design
AFA operates from a single office location in Chadstone, Victoria. The role can be performed remotely with daily contact with the Corporate Communications Officer.