The role of the Head of Design is to ideate, design and develop unique product in line with the KING Brand and Product DNA of premium quality, elegant understatement, engineered for comfort, contemporary furniture designs.
The Head of Design ensures design and related processes are commercial and in accordance with agreed Range Plans and prices, to achieve budgeted sales and margin targets.
The role manages the Design team, ensuring products are designed, developed and sourced in line with the overall Product Strategy, at the right price, at the right time and in response to trends, Brand DNA and Showroom ranges locally and internationally.
• Provides Design direction to the team.
• Conceptualises design/ product opportunities.
• Ideates and presents new product ideas and improvements, incentivised through development of original commercial design concepts and awards.
• Takes briefs from the owner and works with key leaders to agree brief. Manages multiple design briefs within the team. Ensures from a design perspective comfort and aesthetic brief are met.
• Performs prototyping to complete product prototype and hand over to engineering to develop manufacturing pack.
• Determines price point of product for buy price.
• Be involved in Fabric/ Leather selections.
• Ensures profitability of products are aligned with margin targets.
• Maintains competitor, market and industry knowledge of product and design related activity. Ensures King is a market leader in all product categories.
• Drives innovation (Production, Functional, Cost-saving).
• Manages timelines and budgets for each project.
• Ensures design related issues relating to quality and return rates are <3%.
• Ensures designs and products are developed are delivered in line with agreed design direction, quality requirements and critical path timelines.
• Ensures quality and workmanship of product are in line with the KING Brand and Product DNA. Ensures no critical failures and quality of Flock level is acceptable.
• Ensures design and engineering work together to enable effective, efficient and quality manufacturing. Identifies and actions problems within design and/or production. Briefs
Ensure KING is a market leader in all product categories
Achievement of targeted costs
Achievement of budgeted sales growth
Product commercial and reflects Brand DNA.
Designs executed in line with agreed quality standards, timeline and budgets.
CS product related issues <3% for first 3 months of orders.
Head of Design March 2022 Page 2 of 3
engineers on quality issues for resolution and to improve designs.
• Ensures speed to market and Flock production deadlines are met with customer order production plans in place.
• Through team, ensures Product information pack are developed for every product for all relevant departments.
• Through team, ensures Product Services manuals are developed and in place for the Customer Service team and service technicians.
• Performs product training on designs as required.
• Ensures design meet safety and compliance with relevant markets.
• Manages Supplier relationships where applicable.
• Provides information for registration of design patents in line with specifications.
• Provide information to assist with Government tax grants.Achievement of agreed sales and margin targets.
>65% GP from BOM calculation or planned reduction in cost after Flock production.
Critical path and quality in line with agreed timeframes and standards.
Leads all Design team members.
• Provides trusted expertise, coaching and support by prioritising work schedules and timelines.
• Manages senior stakeholder requests, feedback and communication on behalf of the team.
• Manages and motivates direct reports, reviews and assesses performance and builds employee capability.
• Supports professional development and enables team members to optimise their contribution to KING.
• Ensures relevant Workplace Health and Safety requirements are adhered to.
Employee performance and engagement.
All direct reports trained and demonstrated understanding of KING standards.
Compliance to WHS requirements
• Demonstrates a ‘can do’ attitude.
• Works collaboratively with all relevant departments in both the production and retail arms to achieve team objectives.
• Clear and positive communication with all departments.
Positive feedback and high levels of engagement from stakeholder group.
Broader business objectives are embraced and implemented.
Building Positive Working Relationships – Developing and using collaborative relationships to facilitate the accomplishment of work goals
Building a Successful Team – Using appropriate methods and a flexible interpersonal style to help build a cohesive team; facilitating the completion of team goals
Commercial – Using economic, financial, market, and industry data to understand and improve business results; using one’s understanding of business functions, trends and own position in the business to contribute to effective business strategies and tactics
Analytical Thinking/ Strategic Decision Making – Obtaining information and identifying key issues and relationships relevant to achieving a long-range goal or vision; committing to a course of action to accomplish a long-range vision after developing alternatives based on logical assumptions, facts, available resources, constraints and organisational values.
Creativity and Innovation – Generating creative and innovative solutions; trying different and novel ways to deal with work problems and opportunities.
Customer Focus – Making customers and their needs a primary focus of one’s actions; developing and sustaining productive customer relationships.
Negotiation – Effectively exploring alternatives and positions to reach outcomes that gain the support and acceptance of all parties
Quality Orientation (Attention to Detail) – Accomplishing tasks by considering all areas involved, no matter how small; showing concern for all aspects of the job; accurately checking processes and tasks; being watchful over a period of time
Work Standards – Setting high standards of performance for self and others; assuming responsibility and accountability for successfully completing assignments or tasks; self-imposing standards of excellence rather than having standards imposed
MY TOP SKILLS
• Solid experience within the furniture industry with runs on the board
• Strong senior stakeholder management & influencing skills
• Highly resilient and able to work at pace whilst juggling different priorities
• Strong communication and interpersonal skills
• Solid hands-on experience in drawing and CAD software
• Highly accurate and strong attention to detail
• Proactive with strong initiative
• Sound understanding of the global landscape in line with design trends
• Independent and analytical thinker who is energised by solving problems through design
• Strong budget management
I WORK MOST CLOSELY WITH
• Creative Director/Owner
• Design Team
• Production Leads including China and Thailand
• Senior Leadership Team
• External suppliers
Apply Now At: email@example.com for the opportunity to join a well-established growing Australian owned Company!